Sector specific support for businesses

Food related businesses


All food businesses are legally required to register with their local authority at least 28 days before they intend to start trading. Registration is free and involves completing a simple form to confirm the business's trading name, address, ownership, type of food activity and the opening date. Registration is a one off process and the food business only needs to notify the ouncil if there are any significant changes. 

Allergic reactions 

Allergic reactions to food can be life threatening. In Britain, there are about six reported deaths each year due to food induced allergic reaction or anaphylaxis. Most of these fatal reactions are triggered by food eaten out. If your business involves food, check out this guidance for caterers and managers.