Elections staffing and recruitment
Polling station staff
Poll clerks and presiding officers (polling station staff) are appointed by the Returning Officer. They are responsible for the conduct of the ballot - making sure that the proper procedures for voting are followed.
What are the duties?
On the day of the election, polling station staff must be on duty from 6:30 a.m. until shortly after 10 p.m. All staff employed to work at a polling station must attend a training session before taking up their appointment.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible to apply as Poll Clerk or Presiding Officer, you must:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be entitled to work in the UK (in accordance with the provisions of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996). We will need to see a valid passport or your birth certificate and proof of your National Insurance number to support this.
How do I apply?
Full job descriptions and an application form for the following can be downloaded:
- Poll Clerk - job description
- Presiding Officer - job description
- application form
Once you have read through the job description for the role you wish to apply for, download and complete the application form and email or post your completed form:
- Post: The Elections Team, Newcastle-under-Lyme Borough Council, Castle House, Barracks Road, Newcastle ST5 1BL