Register to vote

Registering as an overseas voter

If you are a British citizen living abroad and have moved from the UK in the last fifteen years, you are eligible to register as an overseas voter. Overseas voters can vote in UK Parliamentary elections only.

You will need to update your registration on a yearly basis - we will contact you when you need to do this. If you do not renew, your record on the electoral register will be removed and you will need to re-register.

If you're out of the UK for six months or more, you should register as an overseas voter.

You should submit your application as an overseas voter to the local authority area where you were last registered in the UK.

What information is needed?

To register online, you will need:

  • your date of birth
  • your National Insurance number. If you don't know where to find this, check your official paperwork including payslips, letters from the Department of Works and Pensions (DWP) or your national insurance card
  • your name
  • your address

The process will take around five minutes to complete.

Register as an overseas voter