Homeless Assistance

Newcastle Housing Advice (NHA)

Important Please read before completing this form

We need some information so we can work out what help we may be able to give you. We want to do everything we can to help you sort out your housing problem. Any help we may give does not mean we must offer you a property. We will do everything we can to help you stay where you are, or help you find somewhere else to live.

We also expect you to do everything you can to try and solve your housing problem, you will be expected to take any actions we discuss that are reasonable to take.

1. You will need to complete this form

2. You will need to sign and return the Declaration and consent form to us

3. You need to upload supporting documents to your application

Once you have completed your form and uploaded your documents we will review them. If they are incomplete, we will be ask you to provide more information. We may offer advice or arrange for an interview over the telephone.

The interview may last for up to an hour and a half. Please do not be late for your interview slot otherwise we may not be able to deal with you at that time.

If you need help with this form, you may wish to ask any friends or family or anyone working with you to help.

Before you start

You will need the following information for you and your household members:

Your National Insurance number

Details of your wages, benefits and any other income or savings

Your last five years address history

Details of any health or support needs, (medications, treatment, support workers details)

You and any joint applicants will need to have an email address. If you do not have an e-mail address here are some links below to providers that will have you up and running in no time.

gmail - this link will take you to the Google Mail site where you can set-up your own e-mail account

hotmail - this link will take you to the Microsoft Hotmail site where you can set-up your own e-mail account

YahooMail - this link will take you to the Yahoo Mail site where you can set-up your own e-mail account

Please answer the questions as fully as possible, this helps us assess your circumstances.

If we need to provide you with Temporary accommodation the details provided on this form will be used to complete a Housing Benefit Claim. Temporary accommodation will not be provided without your completed form and any supporting documents.

Proofs you need to upload with your form

Essential for all applications

o Proof of Identity for each adult member of the household e.g. passport, birth certificate or driving license.

o Proof of current address Recent proof for every adult e.g. a copy of tenancy agreement, utility bill or bank statement.

o Local Connection to Newcastle-Under-Lyme Proof of residency in the area this can be a utility bill, bank statement, letter etc.

Local connection is defined as

  • 6 out of the previous 12 months or
  • 3 out of the previous 5 years or
  • Proof of permanent employment in the area
  • Proof of close relatives living in the area for at least 5 years

o Recent Income Recent evidence for each source of income e.g. pay slips (your last 5 weeks if paid weekly or last 3 months if paid monthly) most recent pension/benefits/tax credit award letters certified copy of business accounts if self-employed or recent itemised bank statement.

The following are required only if applicable to your circumstances

o Proof of savings recent bank or building society statement, share certificates or other evidence of investments

o If you are Self-Employed proof of Income Proof of Profits for last 3 months. HMRC letter confirming registration for tax and national insurance. Copy of application to HMRC to pay tax and national insurance as self-employed. Copy of accounts. Other documents proving the business e.g. receipts, invoices, promotional materials.

o Proof of pregnancy Copy of MAT B1 certificate provided by midwife or antenatal booklet or official document from a healthcare professional if MATB1 not yet issued.

o Medical Applications proof of medication (eg recent repeat prescription), relevant official letters or reports

o Proof of HomelessnessNotice, possession summons or eviction warrant if notice served to leave current home, plus copy of employment contract if accommodation provided with job. Copy of divorce papers including property settlement and custody matters if leaving due to divorce or letter from solicitor outlining status of marriage.

o Asked to leave accommodation? (Partner, Friends or Family) Letter from the householder.

o Owner Occupier Most recent mortgage statement or if the property is being sold a copy of the completion statement.

o Armed Forces leavers cessation of service documents, notice to vacate (if received)

o Prison Leavers discharge papers, any probation letters

o Domestic Abuse Applications any supporting documents eg injunctions, crime reference numbers, letters or emails from agencies helping you

o Harassment Applications any supporting documents eg crime reference numbers, letters or emails from any agency involved

o Applicants that are not citizens of the EEA Passport and/or travel documents issued by UK Border Agency and Home Office, residency permit and Home Office decision letters for all household members

o EU or EEA CitizensPassport or Identity Card and evidence of Right to Reside


Newcastle Housing Advice / Aspire may need to ask you to bring in original documents later for verification purposes.

If you fail to provide us with the required proofs to confirm your circumstances this will delay your application.

Please remember to keep your Contact details up to date so we can contact you.