Home > All Services > Council Tax and Benefits > Benefits > Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment

From April 2013 a new benefit, Personal Independence Payment (PIP), started to replace Disability Living Allowance for disabled people aged 16 to 64.

Personal Independence Payment has many similarities with Disability Living Allowance including:

  • It has a daily living component, which has similarities to the current care component
  • It has a mobility component.
  • It is a non-means tested tax-free payment

What it could mean for you:

  • If you’re of working age and claiming this benefit you’ll be reassessed
  • The assessment is stricter which may mean a change to your benefits - view the eligibility criteria

Further information

The Department for Work and Pensions administer this benefit and have comprehensive information available on the GOV.UK website.

Last updated 1 April 2020

Rate this page

We value your feedback. How do you rate the information on this page?

Good OK Poor

Back to the top of the page