Reduce your business rates
Local discounts and hardship
We have discretion to award up to 100% relief from business rates to ratepayers who are experiencing hardship. We will only consider cases that are in the interest of the community because a significant sum comes from council funds.
We consider each case on its own merits:
- Reduction of rates on the grounds of hardship is the exception rather than the rule.
- The test of 'hardship' is not limited to financial hardship - we take into account all factors affecting the business’s ability to pay their rates.
In addition to the taxpayers direct financial interests, we also consider:
- potential job losses, and
- loss of amenities in the area.
You must keep paying your rates as normal until you hear back from us
If awarded, discretionary rate relief doesn't renew automatically, but you can reapply.
What you will need
To complete and submit the online request, you will need to have the following details:
- Liable party details, such as contact details and property address
- Your business rates reference number (this is available on your bill)
- Details on the objectives of the organisation and how they are achieved
- Membership details if applicable to your business
- Registration numbers if applicable to your business
- Details on any funding
- A copy of your latest audited accounts
Our discretionary rate relief policy is available to download.