Council Tax and business rates recovery procedure policy

Attachment of DWP benefits

Universal Credit, Job Seekers Allowance, Pension Credit, Income Support and Employment Support Allowance can all be attached to pay council tax arrears.

If the customer is receiving one of these benefits, we will ask the Department of Works and Pensions to make regular deductions from the benefit and make payments to us.

When deciding this option, we will take into consideration the level of arrears and the length of time it will take to recover the debt.