Growth Deal joint plan
Local context - challenges and opportunities
The two councils acknowledge that the borough faces challenges like most communities in the Midlands/North of the UK. Being aware of them helps us to understand what we need to do to address them through the wealth of opportunities in our area.
- Facilitating and enabling delivery of the joint local plan for housing and employment sites to create sustainable communities.
- Relatively slow progress by the private sector in delivering housing development.
- Relatively high levels of deprivation in cerytain wards and communities.
- Challenging retail economy undergoing structural change.
- Below average wages, as well as a need for upskilling.
- Excellent connectivity with the strategic road network including major road arteries of the M6, A34, A500 and A50.
- Proximity to HS2 and compatible stations including the West Coast Main Line as well as Kidsgrove Railway Station.
- Planned further expansion of Keele University and the Science and Innovation Park.
- High performing Newcastle and Stafford College Group.
- Large teaching hospital close to the town centre.
- Availability of comparatively low-cost but good quality living environments.
- Strong cultural and leisure offer including New Vic Theatre and 8-screen multiplex cinema.