Noise pollution complaints

We will investigate complaints about ongoing/repeated noise - if it is affecting you at your home/business property, including:

  • Noise from commercial premises – such as music, noisy customers, ventilation systems, alarms etc.
  • Noise from industrial/manufacturing premises – such as construction, demolition, alarms etc (guidance says that loud work, such as building work, should only take place from Monday to Friday between 7.30am and 7pm and on Saturdays from 8am to 1pm. Noisy work should not take place on Sundays and bank holidays)

Please see our separate information about barking dogs and house/car alarms. We also have some information about soundproofing your home that you may find helpful.

After a report has been made, we will review the evidence we have collected and determine the best course of action. The legal options depend on the case and may include:

See also our anti-social behaviour policy and procedure for further information.

Issues we can’t help with

There are some things we can't help with, such as:

  • One-off or infrequent events.
  • Noise made by children.
  • Reasonable household noise (such as conversation, doors closing, footfall, occasional dog barking, household appliances).
  • Nuisance impacts in public areas.
  • Road traffic noise.