Home > All Services > Environment > Environmental Protection > Fireworks and Bonfire night

Fireworks and Bonfire night

Celebrating bonfire night

Thinking of celebrating bonfire night at home? Please read this helpful guidance from GOV.UK. A community guide to organising bonfires and fireworks [PDF, 64 kB]

Events on Borough Council-owned land must receive formal approval from the Council. All applications must be made in writing. Forms can be obtained from Streetscene who you can contact by phoning 01782 717717. The Council reserves the right to remove unauthorised bonfires on Council-owned land.

Complaints about bonfires

On council-owned land contact the Streetscene team on 01782 717717

On business premises / private gardens contact Environmental Health on 01782 717717


For firework safety advice please see the the advice on the HSE fireworks website

Fireworks can frighten and disturb people and animals, cause annoyance, damage and impact air quality. The Fireworks Act 2003 introduced a curfew on firework use – between 11pm and 7am – except from the following nights where the curfew begins at different times:

  • 5 November – midnight

  • New Year's Eve – 1am

  • Chinese New Year – 1am

  • Diwali  – 1am

The curfew is enforced by Staffordshire Police – please telephone 101.

Fireworks set off within the allowed times can still be a noise nuisance and the Council may take action if a statutory nuisance exists.

Staffordshire Police are also responsible for enforcing the law relating to the following offences:

  • possession of adult fireworks (all fireworks except party poppers and sparklers) in a public place by anyone under the age of 18;
  • possession of category 4 fireworks (professional display fireworks) by anyone other than a fireworks professional;
  • supply of adult fireworks to those under 18;
  • throwing or casting or firing any firework in or into any highway, street, thoroughfare or public space (this would include throwing or firing from a private place into a public place, street, highway etc);
  • discharging any firearm or firework (without lawful authority or excuse) within 50 feet of the centre of a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway


Last updated 6 January 2016

Back to the top of the page