Using your personal data
In deciding what personal data to collect, hold and use, the council is committed to ensuring that it will:
- Recognise that any personal data handled by the council is held on behalf of that person and that we ensure we respect that responsibility
- Adopt and maintain high standards in respect of the handling and use of that personal data
- Only collect, hold and use personal data where it is necessary and proportionate to do so
- Securely delete any personal data when no longer needed
- Keep your personal data secure and safe
- Not unnecessarily and without good reason, infringe the privacy of individuals
- Consider and address the privacy risks first when planning to use or hold personal information in new ways, such as when introducing new systems
- Be open with individuals about how we use their information and who we give it to
- Make it easy for individuals to access and correct their personal information
- Ensure that there is effective safeguards and systems in place to make sure personal information is kept securely and does not fall into the wrong hands
- Provide training to staff who handle personal information and treat it as a disciplinary matter if they misuse or don’t look after personal information properly
- Put appropriate financial and human resources into looking after personal information to make sure we can live up to our promises
- Regularly check that we are living up to our promises and report on how we are doing
The council may disclose personal data to third parties, but only where it is necessary, either to comply with a legal obligation, or where permitted under the Data Protection Act, e.g. where the disclosure is necessary for the purposes of the prevention and/or detection of crime, or where it is necessary to allow a third party working for or on behalf of the council.
The council will strive to ensure that any personal data in its care will be kept safe and that where your information is disclosed to a third party, the council will seek to ensure that the third party has sufficient systems and procedures in place to prevent the loss of personal data.
Where the council seeks to disclose sensitive personal data, such as medical details, to third parties, we will do so only with your prior express consent or where we are legally required to do.