Council Tax discount and exemptions for single persons and disregarded adults


If any of the following adults live at the property, you can apply for a discount:

  • Full time students
  • Student nurses
  • Apprentices
  • Youth training trainees
  • 18 and 19 year olds who have just left school
  • 18 year olds entitled to child benefit

You can apply for a student exemption if any of the following apply:

  • The property is a halls of residence
  • The property is occupied entirely by full time students

What you will need

You will be asked:

  • Names of everyone living at the property and if they are a student
  • Details about the education or apprenticeship

All students are required to provide a student certificate for Council Tax purposes, unless they are studying at Keele University or Staffordshire University.

Apply for a Council Tax discount or exemption

Sending your discount or exemption application

We are in the process of changing all our forms into online forms. In the meantime, please download and complete the form you need, then send it to us.

Upload your form